Foreclosure Delay and Prevention
If you are facing foreclosure, free legal advice is just a phone call away.
If you are facing foreclosure, Legal Aid may be able to help. Call us at 1-877-777-6152
The Foreclosure Crisis
If you are facing foreclosure, you are not alone. The economic crisis of the past few years has impacted many households. All across New York State, people are facing foreclosure due to job loss, disability, high medical bills, divorce or separation and other reasons.
The Legal Aid Society of Mid-New York Inc. seeks to help qualifying individuals and families remain in their homes, by preventing and/or delaying foreclosure.
We can also help tenants who are facing eviction because of a landlord’s foreclosure.
Who May Qualify?
We serve low and moderate income people in the following counties: Broome, Chenango, Delaware, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida and Otsego.
Did You Know?
- Mortgage foreclosures in New York State must go through court.
- In court, you have the right to a settlement conference.
- You may have the right to a mortgage modification under the federal "Making Home Affordable" Program.
- Bankruptcy may help you delay or stop foreclosure.
- You don’t lose your rights as an owner until your home is sold at auction.
With each passing month, it gets harder to work with your lender. Contact us right away.
If you get a court foreclosure summons, you may have as little as 20 days to respond, by serving and filing a written answer. Do not miss your deadline—contact us immediately.
If you already missed the deadline to answer, you should still contact us. In some cases, we may still be able to help you delay or stop the foreclosure.
- Mortgage foreclosures
- Tax Foreclosures
- Tenants being evicted due to foreclosure
We provide free sign language interpreters, as well as free interpreters in over 150 languages.
Funded through the New York State Attorney General Homeownership Protection Program.